First Reconciliation Information
Jesus entrusted the ministry of reconciliation to the Church. The Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation) is God’s gift to us so that any sin committed after Baptism can be forgiven. In confession, we have the opportunity to repent and recover the grace of friendship with God. It is a holy moment in which we place ourselves in his presence and honestly acknowledge our sins. With absolution, we are reconciled to God and the Church. The Sacrament helps us stay close to the truth that we cannot live without God. “In him we live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28) (USCCB.org).
What’s new for 2018-2019?
In the past, FAITH (the family faith formation program at MPB) has been viewed as a program offered to parish families whose children do not attend Catholic school. However, FAITH is a parish sponsored program, meaning it is open to all families registered in our parish, regardless of where children attend school. FAITH provides an opportunity for families to journey together – through prayer, activity, and discussion – as they grow in their understanding of and participation in our Catholic identity. FAITH is a mandatory component of the sacramental preparation process for children who do not attend Catholic school and participation is strongly encouraged for those children who do attend Catholic school.
In 2018-19, Sacramental Preparation for First Reconciliation, Confirmation and First Communion is a 2-year program. In accordance with the mandate from the Archdiocese of Denver, MPB has transitioned into celebrating the Restored Order of the Sacraments of Initiation. This means that children celebrate their First Reconciliation typically in the second grade. In third grade the Rite of Confirmation precedes the celebration of First Communion within the same ceremony. At MPB, our 2-year program for the preparation and celebration of these sacraments looks like this:
- Year 1 (typically 2nd Grade):
- Families register for FAITH and First Reconciliation.
- In the fall of year 1, baptized children prepare for and celebrate their First Reconciliation.
- In the spring of year 1, families will begin working through the Confirmation component of the in-home study program.
- Year 2 (typically 3rd Grade):
- Families register for FAITH and Confirmation & First Communion (Restored Order).
- Children and their families will continue working with Confirmation while beginning their study on the Eucharist in preparation for their First Communion & Confirmation Mass in the spring.
Guidelines: Who can celebrate First Reconciliation?
- All baptized MPB youth 2nd grade or above who have not yet celebrated their First Reconciliation AND
- Who are enrolled in the FAITH program (required for children who do not attend a Catholic school and strongly encouraged for children who do attend a Catholic school) AND
- Who attend Family Service Sundays AND
- Whose parents attend the scheduled parent meeting AND
- Whose families are registered members of MPB Parish AND
- Who register and pay the fee for First Reconciliation by August 31, 2018 AND
- Who attend all required sessions during the fall AND
- Who complete their at-home study program and attend scheduled rituals!
Preparing to celebrate the Sacrament of First Reconciliation
As the primary educators of their children, parents, with the support of the pastor and the Faith Formation team, are responsible for preparing their children for this sacrament. In September, parents will attend one of two offered parent meetings to receive the materials and training necessary to help with preparation. During the preparation time, parents and students will participate in a ritual which breaks open the significance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation in our daily lives.
Required Dates for Sacramental Preparation Year 1
- Attend one of the two mandatory parent meetings offered. This parent meeting will last about an hour.
- Saturday, September 8 at 9:00 AM in the school gym OR
- Tuesday, September 11 at 6:30 PM in the church.
- Attend FAITH gatherings.
- Attend Family Service Sundays.
- Attend a Ritual of First Reconciliation on Saturday, October 27 at 9:00 AM in the church.
- Attend the Rite of First Reconciliation on Saturday, December 1, 2018 beginning at 9:00 AM in the church.
- Attend the second parent meeting on Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM (Confirmation will be introduced at this time as a part of the two-year sacramental preparation program that will continue in the following year.)
- Attend a Ritual of Confirmation in May 2019 (date TBD).
How to Register
The process of sacramental preparation is a parish sponsored process. Baptized children whose families are registered in Most Precious Blood parish and are in 2nd grade or above may register to prepare for and celebrate the sacrament of First Reconciliation during the 2018-19 school year. To register as a member of MPB Parish, please click here.
Registration is open from July 15-August 31, 2018. Children who do not attend a Catholic school must be enrolled in the FAITH program AND participate in an additional program to prepare for First Reconciliation. Children who attend a Catholic are strongly encouraged to participate in the FAITH program in addition to their sacramental preparation program.
2018 FAITH Registration Fees:
Early Registration: July 15-August 15 – $85 for the first child; $125 family rate (2 or more children)
Standard Registration: August 16-August 31 – $95 for the first child; $140 family rate (2 or more children)
Late Registration: September 1-7 – $105 for the first child; $150 family rate (2 or more children)
2018 First Reconciliation Registration Fees:
Standard Registration: July 15-August 31 – $50 per child
Late Registration: September 1-7 – $55 per child
We do not want the cost of the programs to inhibit participation. Scholarship funds are available. If you are unable to pay the fees for these programs, please contact Kristen Kraus of the Faith Formation Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Registration has now closed for the 2018-2019 school year.
For more information or with questions regarding the registration process, please contact the Kristen Kraus at 303-756-3083 or email@example.com.