Sacred Heart House provides homeless single mothers and children and single women the chance to sleep, to breathe and reflect on where they are and where they want to be Sacred Heart House of Denver’s Transitional Housing Program offers these women and children two years of affordable housing and case management to enable them to acquire the educational, time/household management and financial skills to prepare for the future. Volunteer opportunities are many:
- Interacting with them during one 4-hour evening shift each month at the shelter;
- Helping with child care for 1 ½ hours once or twice a month while moms attend living skill classes and parenting workshops
- Preparing and sharing a dinner with the residents
When residents move to their own housing, they are offered follow up assistance which includes
- Furniture/household goods
- Emergency food
- Problem-solving advice/resources
Donations are always welcomed and include:
- Food, household goods/furniture, trash bags/cleaning supplies
- Diapers and paper goods
- School supplies
The Follow-up Program offers former residents receive continued support in their struggle to live independently and successfully.
This is a program that has been in existence for many years and, while MPB has offered financial support, we are now actively seeking hands-on support. Those of you who volunteered for IHN in the past may find this volunteer experience as rewarding.
Time commitment: Varies with activity
Contact: Eleanor Pasternak 303-756-3083**Temporary until a volunteer comes forth.
Garrett Singer 303-296-6686 firstname.lastname@example.org